Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 21:09:51 +1300
From:      philip.jensen@nzdb.com
To:        jodak@csc.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3c509 Problem

Hi

The 3c509 driver is listed as *buggy*.

However I would like to point you to an posting I wrote when I succeeded with my
3c509.  If you go the following web site you can do some searches for other
posting/problems  -->  http://www.freebsd.org/support.html

http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/cgi-bin/newsread?156772
===start post ===
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Success getting 3c509 working...

Hi

Just wanted to share my experience getting 3c509-combo card working with
FreeBSD.

I was having a significant amount of trouble, and after searching
http://www.freebsd.org almost gave up when I read the 3c509 driver was
buggy having already tried a number of different settings on the card.

Anyways I continued to pursue a solution.

What was really interesting was /var/log/messages showed me it found the
3c509 card at io=300 and irq=10, it even returned the Ethernet hardware
address, which really impressed me (I am new to FreeBSD having cut my
teeth on SCO Unix/Xenix 12 years ago, if anyone remembers that).  But I
still could not ping anything else on the network, even though running
the DOS based 3c5x9cfg Echo-server utility showed the card could
communicate with another card on the network, so no hardware or cabling
problem.

So to cut a long story short, to fix the problem I ran the 3c5x9cfg
programs Auto-configure utility, it changed the irq to 5.  Then I
modified the kernel configuration making irq=5, then recompiled the
kernel, 45 minutes later (I only have a 486DX66), and voila!

NB: If I tried to force irq=10 (which was how the kernel was configured)
the 3c5x9cfg utility would complain about conflicts, even though
checking /var/log/messages showed no other devices on irq=10.

Anyways I hope this helps someone else with 3c509 problems.

Steps:-
1. Run DOS based utility 3c5x9cfg Auto-configure which sets the io and
irq for the card.
2. Configure the kernel with the correct io and irq settings for the
card per the 3c5x9cfg utility, and recompile.

cheers
Philip Jensen
===end post===

If you don't understand my posting, please feel free to e-mail me.

hope this helps
Phil J