Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:28:54 -0500
From:      Jacob Rieper <jacob.rieper@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting sound in KDE

I am having trouble getting my soundcard to work in 5.1 stable.  It didn't
automatically detect the Soundblaster Live card so I added it to the kernel
with kldload snd_emu10k1.ko and rebooted.  It then shows up under pcm0 like
this

pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xd400-0xd41f irq 11 at device 1.0 on pci2
pcm0: <Cirrus Logic CS4297A AC97 Codec>

Looking through usenet, it seems I should run MAKEDEV snd0 or something in
/dev to create the mixer and stuff.  However, MAKEDEV has been removed from
5.1.

Help!