Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:45:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Chen Xu <xuc@mcbi-34.med.nyu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help: boot manager gone!

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Chen Xu wrote:

> Yesterday, when I tried to add a new hard drive to the machine (I want to
> give FreeBSD more space), I mistakenly installed EZ Bios coming with the
> new disk of Western Digit, which erase the boot manager in the old disk. I
> could not boot into FreeBSD any more.
>
> How can I get my boot manger back without installation? I don't want to
> lose what I had there before.

I suggest:

1. Boot with the FreeBSD install floppy and wait for the `boot:' prompt.
At that point, enter `0:wd(0,a)kernel' (I suppose your old disk is the
first IDE hard drive). FreeBSD will boot as usual.

2. Login as root, start `/stand/sysinstall'. Go to the general
configuration menu and call fdisk (the disk slice editor). Don't change
anything, just type `w' to make the whole thing written again. Then you'll
be asked whether the boot manager shall be installed. After that, the
master boot record will be rewritten. Leave sysinstall.

3. Take a look at `diff /etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.previous' to make sure
sysinstall didn't change anything.

4. Reboot the system. The boot manager should be there.

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _______
// Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH GÖttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/ // /
// Am Faßberg, D-37077 GÖttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___/____/
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve -----
//                                                http://www.freebsd.org
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de