Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 18:45:40 -0700
From:      Thomas Connolly <tconnolly@electrosoftsolutions.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   increasing the size of a file system

Hello all.  I am having a problem installing a very large program.  It wa=
nts=20
to extract itself to the /tmp directory but there is not enough space.  I=
=20
have a 30 Gb hard drive that is only 20% full so there is plenty of free=20
space to work with.  I've tried increasing the size of the file system as=
=20
follows:

umount -f /dev/ad0s1f
growfs -s 4194304 /dev/ad0s1f

I get an error similar to the following:
file system not grown (137xxxx -> 137xxxx)  [not sure of the exact values=
]

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or is there another work around=
 such=20
as making the program think that /tmp is really somewhere else with more=20
space?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom