Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 21:14:41 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improper sharing of modem bandwidth

On Wed, Oct 07, 1998 at 02:36:02PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> If you're interested, you could try doing a ``s/20/100/'' in bundle.c
> in src/usr.sbin/ppp and rebuilding & installing ppp.  Perhaps the
> ``20'' is a bit light.
>
> Opinions ?

I can see a couple ways of fixing this (better than today, at least).
All involve changing the tun device.  The basic concept is that you
want to be able to re-order the tun queue, so you can get hold of the
packets you want while still not allowing something to push any amount
of packets into ppp.

1. Change tun to use the same priority scheme as PPP, thus
   prioritizing the entire queue.
2. Allow PPP to say 'block' to the tun device (possibly just for a
   specific subset of connections - bpf script?), thus making it
   possible to prioritize when PPP is 'full'.
3. Allow PPP to inspect and re-order packets in tun, without having to
   get the full packets.  This allow PPP to implement the priotity
   scheme for tun (as opposed to having it implemented in tun itself).

#2 is probably the best (from the view of which possibilities it
gives), but I also suspect it is what would give most work (unless bpf
already can be used this way; then it would just be a question of
making PPP use it.)

Eivind.