Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:21:14 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Mike Hauber <m.hauber@mchsi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forcing a wraped output from the prompt

On 2004-09-15 18:14, Mike Hauber <m.hauber@mchsi.com> wrote:
> I seem to remember this question asked before (mayhaps a
> different OS), but I'm not finding it anywhere (my wording
> is off?)
>
> Is there any way to force the output of a program to wrap at
> the console without redefining the console itself (ie, if I
> wanted to wrap the output of something like fortune to 30
> characters, how can I do that at the prompt)?

Yes there is.  Use stty(1).

I'm customarily running my consoles with a 132x25 mode, but sometimes I
want to force 100 columns or less (i.e. when I'm reading a web page in
elinks or w3m).  This is easily done with:

	$ stty columns 100

and another stty invocation when I'm done to reset columns to 132.

- Giorgos