Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 1995 15:23:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        pete@puffin.pelican.com (Pete Carah)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 'df' not doing anything

> Soft mounts are still annoying for 'df'; our timeout is set pretty long.

8-(.

> Something that bothers me in freebsd is that you can't force-unmount a
> dead hard mount; we should have some provision for that since it leads
> to unnecessary dirty reboots.  SGI did that one 'right' (it does wait
> an inordinate amount of time, like 3-5 minutes per mount, but at least
> it unmounts even with a dead server).  I think umount -f is supposed to
> do this but it doesn't work, at least in 1.1.5 (which is all I've tried
> it in).

I agree.  I noticed the lack of respect for the FORCE flag early on;
It's a difficult issue, with client caching, and it's largely unnecessary
for local file systems.

For local file systems, the problem is one of invalidating the FD; it's
tied up in the open file struct bogosties.

I think it'd be OK to fixup NFS, leaving the others for later.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.