Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:10:53 HST
From:      knowtree@aloha.com
To:        Paul B Mahol <onemda@gmail.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wi (Lucent) panics on ifconfig wi0 up

> On 1/21/10, knowtree@aloha.com <knowtree@aloha.com> wrote:

> >> That is obiously bug, introduced with VAPs.
> >> Do not touch wi at all, create wlan first:
> >> # ifconfig wlan create wlandev wi0
> >>
> >> Now you can do with wlan0 what you did with wi0 in older versions.
> >
> > Thanks, Paul. That fixed the panic. I read the man page for rc.conf and it
> > does indeed say that cloning is mandatory in 8.0. The man page for wlan was
> > not very helpful; ifconfig page is a gem but sooooo complicated.
> >
> > I still cannot connect to my network.
> >
> >     ifconfig wlan0 ssid MYNET
> >
> > sets the ssid but
> >
> >     ifconfig wlan0 up
> >
> > does nothing ... no carrier. It will go up with ssid unspecified (-), but
> > then
> >
> >     ifconfig wlan0 scan
> >
> > hangs until I do ctrl-C, and a "list scan" completes with no output.
> >
> > Perhaps this is due to more 8.0 newness -- ignorence on my part. Any
> > suggestion about what to read?
> >
> > My network uses no encryption but blocks on MAC address. Any chance the
> > wlan is fiddling with this? The address displays correctly in ifconfig.
> > Tonight I can try opening up the access point.
>
> wi(4) is buggy, if it just works on 7.X fill PR, i dont have card so
> can not fix it.

OK, I filed PR kern/143074. I sure it it wasn't operator error!! In the
meantime I'll try ndis again on the built-in Intel 5100AGN, which did not
work under 7.x. I'll also plug in my Tivo USB wifi, just for fun. I also
have a CAT-5 top wifi thingy I used on a Play Station 2, that might get me
on-line.

Thanks for your help.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu