Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:32:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Matt Lazarou <matt@lazarou.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: regarding freebsd

On 23-Oct-2001 Matt Lazarou wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I had my FreeBSD box running for 26 days when i got home from work today
> the system was frozen so i killed the x server and it wouldn't let me
> relogin in. Now when i restarted my computer... and tryed booting back
> into FreeBSD i got the message:
> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
> Default: 0:ad0(0,a),a
> Boot:
>
> Also the message invaild partition however the core os of the system is
> installed on ad1 my secondary drive.  Any clue what i should type to fix
> the problem i tryed:
> ad1(1,a)/kernel
> nothing any help would be apperciated.
>
> Thank you

You have to also indicate the BIOS drive number.  If ad1 is drive 1 in your
BIOS (numbering starts at zero, of course), then:

1:ad1(1,a)/kernel

*should* work (unless the root partition has gotten totally trashed
somehow).

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>

Fresco's Discovery:
        If you knew what you were doing you'd probably be bored.