Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:01:26 -0400
From:      "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
To:        'Ilia Chipitsine ' <ilia@cgu.chel.su>, "'questions@FreeBSD.ORg '" <questions@FreeBSD.ORg>
Subject:   RE: is there anything that is capable of playing wav-files ?! I h ave numerous wav-files that I could only listen to under Windows :-(

I have noticed this for sometime, not being a high priority on my list I go
and investage this. I believe that the some waves will not play on FBSD
because Microsoft has 2 of it's own wav formats such as Microsoft PCM and
Microsoft G 723.1. Don't ask me the differences between them and standard
that everyone else has since I don't know. I was able to test this by using
soundrecorder in windows to save a wave that was in one of these microsoft
formats to a normal wave PCM. I haven't found anything to in FBSD to
translate these formats.

Of course, all this is just my theory. If anyone can back me up or
disprovement please do. I'd love to just play wav without haveing to
translate them at work.

Rod.....