Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 14:36:45 -0700
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicrecords.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rearranging files

On 1 Sep 99, at 12:45, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 31 August 1999 at 19:50:14 -0700, Dave Walton wrote:
> >
> > da0s1a   /   (to be mounted readonly, perhaps)
> > da0s1b   swap   (but you knew that)
> > da0s1e   /var
> > da0s1f   /usr   (also readonly, perhaps)
> > da0s1g   /home  (quotas enabled, so separate fs)
> > da0s1h   /where?   (app data - mysql, apache, cyrus, etc)
> > da0s1d?   /music?   (mp3 archive - could go in da0s1g, but not
> >    da0s1h.  Needs quota or separate partition, because it'll tend to
> >    overflow.)
> >
> > Any nits to pick?
>
> Well, I'd probably create one file system for /var, /usr, /home,
> /where and /music.  You're bound to overflow one first.  Of course,
> with partitions of that size, you need to match them to the size of
> your tapes, so you may have some justification in having both /usr and
> /home.

Hm.  I understand the logic, but there are parts of this system that
will have a tendency to fill the drive without some sort of limit
enforced.  Perhaps create a special user for those parts of the tree,
set a quota on that user, and use suiddir to enforce ownership of
those files?  But that would mean having suiddir turned on for /var
and /usr, too.  Couldn't that cause problems?

> I don't see that quotas are an adequate justification.

My understanding is that quotas require the system to do a bunch
work to keep track of all the files on a filesystem where quotas are
enabled.  That, and the size of quota.user depends on the number
of files in the filesystem.  That being the case, it seems quite
wasteful of resources to have /usr on a filesystem with quotas
enabled.  Especially with things like /usr/ports and /usr/src
installed.

Dave