Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 20:32:34 -0700
From:      "David Crowder" <DRCrowder@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Getting a "read error" after install

I am running a Dell dimension D300
pII 300mhz,
128 ram,
4G HDD,
8G HDD
Ninvida 128 video,
Sound Blaster AWE 64,
atapi ide CD-ROM,
Standard floppy,
3Com 3C509 network card
ps/2 mouse

The 8G HDD is on the primary IDE with the CD as a slave
the 4G HDD is the master on the secondary IDE without a slave

FreeBSD 4.0 detects all of my hardware

I set up my disks to be dedicated FreeBSD and included the following mounts
/      200M
/var   200M
swap   512M
/usr   7123M (whatever the rest of the 8G HDD is)
/home  4000M (whatever the 4g HDD comes out to be in Megs)

I did set the primary HDD as bootable

The install goes fine, all packages installed.
I reboot and get a black screen with "read error" in the top left corner

I have gone as far to remove all hardware except 1 HDD and the CD (did that
twice, one for each HDD) - same error
I removed the CD - Same error
I tried a whole host of different install and HDD configs  - same error
I have been all over the CMOS to ensure there wasn't any "Windows" type
settings
I have tried everything that I could think of

Windows 98 worked fine on the box just prior to install.
I just fdisked and reformatted the HDD's the installed windows to ensure
that I didn't have a hardware error.

Please help!

I just installed FreeBSD to be the OS on our production Web server at work
and I love it! I would really like to use this at home.

Thank you,

David R. Crowder
Project Manager
ThomComp, INC