Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 14:54:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Booth, Christopher" <christopher_booth@mcgraw-hill.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'cbooth@aixx.net'" <cbooth@aixx.net>
Subject:   RE: Sharing Files w/ Linux in Same Box

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Booth, Christopher wrote:

> My 1st hard drive, master on drive 1, w/ the CD-ROM as slave, has Linux at
>
> 	/dev/hda5	/
> 	/dev/hda6	/home

OK.

> and so forth, according to Linux (the Linux fstab). My second hard drive,
> master on drive 2, is where FreeBSD resides, at
>
> 	/dev/wd2s1b	  swap
> 	/dev/wd2s1a	  /
> 	/dev/wd2s1f	  /usr
>
> and so forth, according to my FreeBSD fstab. The 1st drive does not appear
> in the fstab.

That's normal.  Unless you have the 'noauto' flag in there, it doesn't
need to be listed in fstab.

 Would my command for mounting my come file in Linux be

>      mount -t ext2fs /dev/wd0s6 /mnt
> 		or, equally,
>      mount_ext2fs /dev/wd0s6 /mnt
>
> or would the ext2fs be called /dev/wd0sf? Or /dev/wd1s6 or wd1sf? Or do I
> need to use Linux's nomenclature and call it /dev/hda6?

I'm not sure how the labelling works out since I'm not familiar with
Linux's partition layout and DOS-oid disk counting semantics. :)

Doug White