Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 08:29:46 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        <ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Holtor" <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Bandwidth Limiting per IP

Holt,

Your conclusion is correct - you do need a pipe for each IP with 100kbit per
pipe.  If you only have 1 pipe then all the IPS will SHARE the 100 kbit,
which is not what you want.

There is additional overhead in processing so many pipes, but if the box in
question is doing nothing other than acting as a gateway/router then I doubt
that this will be a real problem.  I have a vague memory that someone once
benchmarked a set if ipfw rules and found that with a set of 1000 rules (the
average search would therefore hit at about rule 500) the actual latency
induced was just a few milliseconds.

Patrick.