Date:      8 May 2010 16:13:14 -0000
From:      John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        amvandemore@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Small computer to run a GUI?

>> well. I went checking out Soekris but couldn't really see if they offer a
>> GUI, the models I looked at didn't have a VGA port though. I was hoping for
>> something about 9 inches square and three inches thick, or smaller.

Soekris users consider the lack of VGA to be a feature, since they
make the systems smaller and less power hungry.  If you want to run X
stuff, my advice would be to run a X server on your laptop to make it
act like an X terminal, and run the applications on the Soekris over
the network.  That's how X was designed to be used.  Works great.

If you really really want to run X on your Soekris, you could plug in
a mini-PCI video card, which I see you can get for about $45, but I'd
recommend not running an X server process on your server hardware.

R's,
John