Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 18:33:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   place for new ports

I see all the announcements of new ports going by, much too fast to do
anything about them, and I worry about things falling into cracks.  I
wonder if there shouldn't be another method for folks registering new
ports, in such a way that allows us to go back whenever there's free
time. and look over anything that hasn't been done, and do it.

I'd want it to be able to take the suggested port and store it, with the
email address of the contributor.  I'd want the ability to kill that port
later, either when it is committed, or when the contributor notices that
'omigawd' bug he left in, so it could be squashed before a developer has
to find it.  I'd want it to be separated from any non-port stuff, because
the volume is high enough as it is, and eliminating confusion would be
best served that way.

Couple of ways to do it:

1) Make a new ftp directory (maybe ports-contrib).  Only ports go into it.
   Drawback: little enforcement of return email addresses of
   contributors, and no way to stop confused folks from putting
   _whatever_ into it.
2) Make a new mail address, (again maybe ports-contrib@freebsd.org).  Set
   up sendmail so that mail to this address gets posted as files in a
   directory, with filenames as mail subject lines.  Contributors could
   easily do overwriting then, and make it so only committers could
   delete from it.  Folks could put ports in .tar.gz.uue format into it.
   This would enforce having email addresses (practically), and committers
   could delete ports they'd committed or trashed.

Any other ideas on how to do it?  or if it's needed at all?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |