Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 16:22:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de, sakr@itp.ac.ru, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with Compaq Prosignia 300

> [ ... Compaq PCI box ... ]
>
> > The NCR and generic PCI drivers in FreeBSD
> > were written by a friend and me, so we
> > should be able to work out a solution.
> >
> > If FreeBSD doesn't see the NCR controller,
> > then there probably are some boot messages,
> > that might help understand the problem.
> >
> > I need a complete log of all messages that
> > deal with PCI (i.e. start with "pci0").
> >
> > You'll probably have to write down these
> > messages, I'm afraid. (There are other
> > possibilities, but they probably aren't
> > worth the effort or they would require
> > more hardware.)
>
> According to someone who had this problem as well and discovered what
> it was and posted to the list, the problem is that the Compaq is in
> 2.0 mode and FreeBSD only understands 1.x PCI.
>
> Apparently, you can force it to 1.x mode, and this is what NetBSD has
> that FreeBSD does not in this area.

Gee Terry, as one who is pushing VM86 bios calls all the time I am
surprized you did not come up with the real correct solution and
that is to call the PCI BIOS32 interface (yes, *all* PCI spec 1.x
and 2.x compliant machines *must* implement this).  We don't even
need VM86 to do it since these are protected mode safe BIOS calls.

We do have to make sure we save the BIOS data areas though, but
that is pretty easy to fix.