Date:      Sat, 09 May 1998 22:32:33 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Have I left something out?

>> > // interface is marked "down", it still insists that that is THE route to
>> > // any machines which would be on that net.
>>
>> This is a known bug and there are fixes for it floating around
>> but none are really 'correct'
>>

>"The Right Way" to fix it is with a function that walks the route table
>and deletes all the routes whose ifp points to the ifnet being detached.
>I haven't had time to poke into the FreeBSD sources yet.  If nobody else
>gets this, I'll look into it as soon as I get my plate cleared at work
>a bit.

   This is normally done by the routing daemon. In the case of routed, it
scans the list of interfaces periodically for changes. For gated, it has
a socket open for up/down change events and takes care of business as soon
as it sees the change. I'm inclined to think that this functionality
should stay in the route daemon where it has always been since deleting
the routes to the interface may not be the correct course of action.

-DG

David Greenman