Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:19:01 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        jfm@blueyonder.co.uk, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Going small

John Murphy wrote:

>options       CPU_GEODE       # Mandatory

I checked in NOTES and it says nothing of this option, how and where did
you get it, I thought /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES contained all valid
options?

>options         SYSVSHM         #SYSV-style shared memory
>options         SYSVMSG         #SYSV-style message queues
>options         SYSVSEM         #SYSV-style semaphores

You might be able to remove those options, if I remember right it
explains in the freebsd handbook why you don't (and do) need these options.

>device          isa

Arn't you dealing with a pci only board and chipset, why do you need isa
support?

Also setting make options will make things leaner and meaner too.
something like (this is just an example, don't build anything with this
set of options and expect it to work):
CPUTYPE=i585/mmx
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
CFLAGS= -march=pentium-mmx -Os -pipe -s -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math
COPTFLAGS= -march=pentium-mmx -Os -pipe -s -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math

read this paper for a starting point on this stuff:
http://silverwraith.com/papers/freebsd-tuning.php

Have fun with your new toy :-), I'd love to have one of these but can't
justify the cost.