Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:10:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Zero Sum <count@shalimar.net.au>
Cc:        James Lim <jameslpin@pacific.net.sg>, freda chua <ichini09@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Zero Sum wrote:

> On Thursday 16 November 2000 01:20, Tim McMillen wrote:
> > I think freda saw that?  So if you have the ports tree installed, su to
> > root and type
> > cd /usr/ports/www/netscape47-navigator
> > make && make install && male clean
> >
> > That is how to make a port into something you can use.  Of course you have
> > to be running X to use netscape. There are three versions of Netscape
> > available for FreeBSD.  The BSDi, Linux and the above.  You'll have to
> > pick the one you want.  Have fun,
> >

> I have never been able to figure out adequare grouds for my choice.  What
> factors do you consider important?

Geoff,

Actually, I usually use konqueror in KDE2 if I'm running X at all.  It has
a smaller memory footprint than Netscape, seems more stable, and works
perfectly as a local file viewer too.  I only use netscape if I need to
see something that uses javascript.  (I don't want to turn on javascript
in Konqueror.)   And that's not that often.
	So when I do use netscape, I use the Linux version because there
are things like the flash plugin available.  I end up using lynx from
the console pretty often too.  It's great that the Freebsd website is so
useable from lynx.

					Tim