Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:40:03 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Glenn Sieb <ges@wingfoot.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading a 5.1-RELEASE-p10 system...

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:16:00PM -0400, Glenn Sieb wrote:
> Alex de Kruijff said the following on 10/19/2004 9:01 PM:
>
> >Gerely speeking, STABLE doesn't mean things never gets broken. Most
> >reliable are the RELEASE plus fixes. So don't follow 5-STABLE but
> >5-RELENG
> >

> To help ease frustration and such.. you mean:
>
> Follow RELENG_5_2 not RELENG_5 (from:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html)

Yes, thats what I mean. I didn't check the tags so I didn't get them
rigth. Even following RELENG_5_X doesn't mean things never gets broken.
The xl nic driver was broken in RELEASE_4_5 which meant I coudn't use
the net. :'( So its also a good idee to save a working source (/usr/src)
before updating to a new release. (But there's no gurantee you can
downgrade, i think) I never had any trouble with the other releases. Its
just a case of bad luck.

> In cvsup-supfile speak for those of us using cvsup to sync our source trees

Those of us who updates there source usaly use cvs.

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/