Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 21:44:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jacob DeGlopper <jacob@mayhem.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI/CAM errors with Yamaha CRW6416sz CD-RW and NCR 815 card

Followup on this problem.  I have an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card on the way,
which seems to be more of a standard, but maybe that's not the problem.
I discovered that if there is no CD in the drive when I boot FreeBSD,
it works fine.  What does that indicate?

cd0 at ncr0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
cd0: <YAMAHA CRW6416S 1.0b> Removable CD-ROM SCSI2 device
cd0: 10.0MB/s transfers (10.0MHz, offset 8)
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present - tray c
losed

Put a CD in, and you can mount it just fine and use it.  Leave the CD in
when you reboot, and it locks up with the same NCR timeout errors I
was seeing below.

--
Jacob DeGlopper, FF/EMT-B, N3RHI
jacob@mayhem.com