Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 20:26:08 -0700
From:      Ryan <rd64pro@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sunrpc on port:111?

No offense guys, but I'm tired of reading the posts you've been throwing up over the past
few days. You'll bore me to tears if I have to read another "RE: rant on Linux!, no wait,
BSD!, no wait, the guy that just twisted my words!, no wait, that guy's cousin's mother!"
whew!

Instead of polluting my phone line, let me pick your brains for a minute.

During one of my late night sessions of endless tinkering with my BSD box, I installed
GTKPortScan (merely for fun; and out of curiosity). Anyway, after running it on a few
different IPs, I decided to run it on my own. Well, I was pleased to find an open port
with a daemon running on it that I am unfamiliar with (I like that; it sparks more
curiosity). Aside from FTP, Telnet, http, etc, I have something called "sunrpc" running
on port 111. I have no idea what this is. While I was in inetd.conf disabling finger
and a few others, I didn't see any mention of sunrpc. I found a sunrpc directory under
/usr/share/examples, and one of the files within said something about a remote message
printing protocol. Could someone be so kind as to offer a brief explanation on what this
is/does?

Also, while I remember, how can restart inetd (or any daemon, for that matter) without
restarting BSD? I was under the impression I could send it an HUP signal via 'kill' and
then just restart it, but kill wants a pid that I can't find. Anyone? Thanks...

This really isn't a pressing matter, just something to help you guys out of your rut
with... hehehe ;)