Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:10:35 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        kde-devel@max.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE2 and konsole_grantpty (Was: Re: More on Session hangs ... )

okay, this might make sense to someone out there ... looking at
konsole_grantpty, the fod that is failing appears to be:

  pty = ttyname(PTY_FILENO);          /* posix */
  if (pty == NULL)
  {
    fprintf(stderr,"%s: cannot determine the name of device.\n",argv[0]);
    return 1; /* FAIL */
  }
  close(PTY_FILENO);

where PTY_FILENO is hardcoded as 3:

#define PTY_FILENO 3    /* keep in sync with grantpty */

What does the 3 signify?  Is this something specific to Linux that needs
to be set to a different value for *BSD (and, apparently, UnixWare7)?