Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 00:43:51 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaBIOS documentation

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 00:24:23 -0700 (PDT)
 Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca> wrote:

 > There's plenty of device driver source code in Linux and NetBSD, too. :-)
 >
 > My point is, every time a new type of Alpha comes along, you have
 > to write new PALcode and compile it in to the boot loader. This is
 > not really all that different than having to write and compile in
 > a new device driver every time a new device comes along.

Not really.  Once you have working PALcode for a given platform, you never
have to touch it again.  This is not true with drivers, which may need
modification for the next rev of a device.

Also, the VAST majority of PALcode is common from one platform to another.
Usually, the only differences are in the interrupt routing code, and these
differences are usually very minor (esp. between same implementation revs,
e.g. two 21064-based systems or two 21164-based systems).  The other main
difference is in the code that builds the CPU logout area; this code usually
copies platform-specific core logic registers.  However, this will be the
same between two platforms which use the same core logic chipset (e.g.
the AlphaStation 500 and the AlphaPC 164, both of which use an ALCOR2).

However, it is worth noting that the MILO PALcode doesn't actually work
very well, and doesn't implement an interface completely compatible with
the OSF/1 PALcode shipped with the SRM (logout area is different, for
example, and some exception vectors are different).

In other words, I wouldn't exactly recommend using the MILO PALcode as a base.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 428 6939