Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 19:33:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Knobs in /etc/sysconfig

> If you're going to go this far in the SysV direction (and in this one
> particular case it's not unreasonable), I would far rather have
> something like:
>
> 	if [ -d /etc/rc.local.d ]; then
> 		for script in /etc/rc.local.d/*.sh; do
> 			[ -x $script ] && $script start
> 		done
> 	fi
>
> 	if [ -x /etc/rc.local ]; then
> 		/etc/rc.local
> 	fi

I can live with that..  I read Satoshi's "all singing, all dancing"
proposal and have to say that this mechanism looks more reasonable,
albeit less flexible.  I'm usually all for flexibility, but it's
possible to take it too far (like I did with bsd.port.mk :-).

> I don't like the idea of /etc/sysconfig.local as a dumping-ground for
> third-party software configuration options.  Either there should be a
> third-party section in the real /etc/sysconfig, or there should be a
> separate config file for each service (/etc/rc.local.d/$service.cf?).
> I lean towards the former.

I can live with this too.  Unless I hear some significant argument
to the contrary, I will "make it so" in a day or so..

					Jordan