Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:26:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Subject:   Re: setting up a laptop workstation

>Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 23:06:36 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>

>Does anyone have any ideas on what i could install on a freebsd laptop to
>make it a nice useable workstation, not just a netsurfer?  I have Lyx,
>netscape, and a few editors installed.  I would like to avoid staroffice,
>but i might end up getting it after all.

Well, if I ever get a laptop, I'd probably install such things as:

* magicpoint (for presentations)
* xfig (for drawing diagrams &c.)
* xv (for image display & some manipulation)
* xpaint (for more image manipulation)

Assuming that I'd have groff on there anyway, that combination would
suit me as far as generating PostScript (for printing) for letters,
memos, signs, diagrams, charts, slides, whatever.

BTW, at the December BayLISA (http://www.baylisa.org/) meeting, one of
the "Short but Cool" talks was from one of the (3) principals in a new
start-up called "TuxTops"; they're working on being able to sell laptops
with Linux (at first) and FreeBSD & OpenBSD (later) pre-installed...
with no "Microsoft tax".  He (Mark) indicated that they hoped to be able
to start shipping within a few months.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915