Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 14:54:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Subject:   Re: alpha/22650: SCSI cdrom attach problems on 4-stable

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 14:34:19 -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >
> > I updated the PR (22650) with edit-pr, but it doesn't seem to then email
> > submitter/responsible person. The short answer is "f/w breakage(?), don't know
> > how to fix yet".
> >
> > mjacob Wed Nov  8 17:08:53 PST 2000
> >
> > Okay- here's what is happening- the Qlogic f/w is returning an AUTOSENSE
> > failure- that is, it's unable to automatically run a request sense
> > (reason unknown). So, the CAM status being returned is
> >
> >         CAM_AUTOSENSE_FAIL
> >         CAM_DEV_QFRZN
> >
> > It's been apparent to me for some time that cam_periph_error should be
> > then running an INQUIRY command in this case.
>
> Why an inquiry, if autosense failed?  Don't you mean a request sense?

Sorry. Ooops. Yes.

> > What's particularly obnoxious here is that the CD in question doesn't
> > actually completely detach- that is, it's pass instance stays, but
> > the cd instance won't attach- and this, for some reason, makes it
> > impossible to rescan it later.
>
> The reason the device isn't gone is because the pass(4) driver actually
> attached successfully.  The problem is that when there is no CD in the
> drive, any CDROM drive will return an error in response to a READ CAPACITY
> command.
>
> Since autosense is failing, the cd(4) driver can't tell what sort of error
> is getting returned (and therefore whether the drive is really accessible),
> so it won't attach.

An AUTOSENSE failing means that a check condition occurred, but no sense data
is available. That should, in fact, be treated identically to READ CAPACITY
failing because there's no media.

> The pass(4) driver doesn't issue any commands to check the device (it
> doesn't have any requirements for device functionality beyond the basic
> probe code), so it attaches without problems.
>
> Both drivers are doing the right thing from what I can see.

But a later rescan should see it but it doesm't. And see above.

But the high order bit is that the autosense is failing. All other stuff in
scsi_cd is is secondary.

What's more important is that cam_periph_error or the periph should send a
REQUEST SENSE if AUTOSENSE fails- the sim should not be the one doing this.

> > I don't know why the Qlogic f/w is returning this code, but the fundamental
> > problem here is that CAM is broken. And, no, it's not up to each SIM to
> > run INQUIRY commands themselves if AUTOSENSE fails.
>
> Don't you mean request sense?

Yes, sorry. Brains.....

-matt