Date:      Mon, 04 May 1998 13:32:12 +0200
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3D "blender" package from NeoGeo now released.

> > > Their web page BTW, has the URL wrong.  It points to the non-existant dir:
> > > /pub/FreeBSD/2.2.x-stuff
> > >

> > I don't believe you guys, when I tested it, it existed it must have
> > been removed, but why doesn't anyone tell us! Don't you want other
> > FreeBSD'ers to download it?
>
> Sorry, I didn't even know that somebody was referencing it incorrectly

I didn't mean to refer to you or whomever maintains the directory
structure for FreeBSD, but to the guys that tried to download blender
and found the link broken!

> through the 2.2.x-stuff link.  The correct and canonical way to
> reference commercial stuff (if you check my past postings on the
> subject) has always been to point at it through the
> 2.2.x-RELEASE/commerce path, exactly as I deliberately and
> specifically announced it in my own posting, since that could be a
> symlink or a real directory depending on how it and the other "extra
> bits" (like xperimnt) are arranged on the FTP site.  Please change the
> link and, as a general rule, don't ever point to anything that's not
> specifically mentioned in the top level index.html file under
> pub/FreeBSD since you're likely doing the wrong thing in pointing at
> some purely administrative directory when you should be following a
> symlink.

I stand corrected.

> BTW, while I have your ear, I think it's time to relink blender with a
> later JPEG library.  It doesn't change that often these days, but it
> seems to have taken a recent bump to 8.0. :(

Is it so for FreeBSD 2.2.6? That's the platform that we're targetting.

Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl