Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:00:07 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        Michael Wichmann <michaelwichmann@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Num lock status on boot

--xB0nW4MQa6jZONgY

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 03:05:22PM +0200, Michael Wichmann wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>=20
> Just a quick question about this little thing, that bugs me from time to=
=20
> time:)  Num-lock ist turned off by default after I boot up FreeBSD=20
> 5.2.1. Is there any way to enable it by default?
>=20
> Thanks,
> Micha

There is often a BIOS setting that may affect this, but this is assuming
that you are speaking about booting to a console.  If you are booting
into X then, from past experience, it is a bit more tricky.  I haven't
looked at it in a while and things may have changed, but as of a year or
so ago there were various hacks and tools to get the Numlock activated
when booting into X.  KDE's FAQ used to have a section on this,
in which they stated that it wasn't really a KDE issue at all, but gave
some tips on it simply because the issue came up frequently.  You can
try playing around with xset(1) and the 'led' option.  I also recall
that there was a small program developed for the very purpose of
automatically activating the Numlock when booting into X.  A few web
searches should pull up a lot of information.

Nathan
--=20
PGP Public Key: pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=3Dget&search=3D0xD8527E49

--xB0nW4MQa6jZONgY

--xB0nW4MQa6jZONgY--