Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:22:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Diekhans <markd@Grizzly.COM>
To:        tom@uniserve.com
Cc:        blapp@attic.ch, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@hwcn.org
Subject:   Re: GNU-Tar should be updated

>From: Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
>  pax is also a nice tar replacement.  On BSDI, tar is just a link to pax.
>I'm pretty sure pax can backup up /dev

I worked on some distribution software about 5 years ago that look at
incorporating the pax code to read tar files.  We ended up finding some
serious bugs and dropped the idea.  I don't remember the nature of the bugs,
but they were reproduced on every system that had a vendor copy of pax that I
could find.  Attempts to contact the author failed.  Unless someone has
done some major work on pax, I would recommend staying away from it.

Mark