Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:52:32 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Haapanen, Tom" <tomh@metrics.com>, "'isp@freebsd.org'" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, FrontPage and DES

From: "Haapanen, Tom" <tomh@metrics.com>
> Has anyone successfully installed FrontPage 2002 extensions on FreeBSD
4.4?

> I managed to get through the install process -- the 2002 extensions
> explicitly support FreeBSD, and I now get a few steps into the
> FrontPage-to-Apache connection.  But I fail in the authentication process.
>
> I think this is because FrontPage uses DES, while FreeBSD 4.4 defaults to
> MD5.  Or at least that's what my net.research tells me.
>
> So, fin, I used CVS to retrieve new DES crypto sources.  I successfully
> built the libdescrypt* libraries, copied them to /usr/lib, and symlinked
the
> libcrypt* libdescrypt* (four separate libraries).  But when I try to
change
> a password (plain old passwd command), i get an error:

As you found out you can't do this in 4.4.

The problem is that the FreeBSD FrontPage Ext's were build for a FreeBSD 3.x
system, which had libdescrypt* linked to libcrypt*.  The problem is the FP
Exts generate an invalid MD5 password on a system that has either libscrypt
is linked to libcrypt (FreeBSD 3.x, 4.[1-3]) or when used with libcrypt
(4.4+).

There are 3 possible ways to solve this problem:

1. Use the BSDi FP Exts which have the descrypt routines statically linked.

2. (I haven't tested this) Change login.conf's passwd_format to des, which
will cause libcrypt (4.4+) to create DES passwords:

    default:\
         :passwd_format=md5:\

Or you could try changing the class for the user that needs to run the FP
Ext's (fpsrvadm.exe, ows*.exe) to "des_users".

3. use htpasswd to change the passwords to the correct MD5 password.  You
will need to locate the password files from the .htaccess files.

I have reported this DES/MD5 password problem to Ready-to-Run (www.rtr.com)
awhile ago, but haven't heard if they had fixed the problem with the FreeBSD
FP Exts.

Scot