Date:      16 Jul 1999 14:52:53 +0400
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <maillist@nitek.ru>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Swap overcommit (was Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2))

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Something is weird here.  If the solaris people are using a
>     SWAPSIZE + REALMEM VM model, they have to allow the
>     allocated + reserved space go +REALMEM bytes over available swap
>     space.  If not they are using only a SWAPSIZE VM model.

I did not check if the model was a SWAPSIZE+REALMEM or a SWAPSIZE
model. Anyway, I think you are assuming that the "swap -s" command
shows as total memory just the swap space... Maybe, maybe not. I
don't know. But the space against which I reached the ceiling *was*
the one reported in the "swap -s" command.

>     Wait - does Solaris normally use swap files or swap partitions?
>     Or is it that weird /tmp filesystem stuff?  If it normally uses swap
>     files and allows holes then that explains everything.

I'd say partitions. While perusing man pages, I caught briefly the
comment that a swap partition could overwrite a normal partition, in
a man page about a special command to create swap partitions.

Anything you'd like me to check in particular? If you have any
source code you'd like me to run, just send it to
capo@comp.cs.gunma-u.ac.jp, though I can only run them at the
earliest on monday. Well, at least my monday is your sunday night...
:-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Would you like to go out with me?"
	"I'd love to."
	"Oh, well, n... err... would you?... ahh... huh... what do I do
next?"