Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 11:34:57 -0400
From:      Matt Hagadorn <msh@chesapeake.com>
To:        "'freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD on Micron Millenium

I am going to be installing a firewall and WWW/FTP server at my company
soon, and am considering running these on FreeBSD. I have to specify the
machines to buy for these (and we buy Micron PCs), so my question is
this...

Are there any known problems running FreeBSD on a Micron Millenium (uses
Triton PCI chipset) Pentium machine with the following hardware:

	- BusLogic BT-946C (Rev D) PCI SCSI controller
	- SMC EtherPower PCI (10 Mb/s) Ethernet card
	- Stealth 64 PCI graphics card

My main concern is the fact that I'll have three PCI cards (It seems I've
seen stuff in the FAQs about the various PCI chipsets with multiple PCI
cards). Also, is the SMC EtherPower card even supported under FreeBSD (I
don't know what chipset it uses)? I probably won't be using X-Windows, so
the graphics card is relatively unimportant (I could substitute for a
vanilla VGA card if I had to).

If the SMC EtherPower isn't compatible, will I lose a lot of performance
using a lesser SMC Elite16 Ultra ISA card? Our link to our ISP will
probably be only 56K, so PCI ethernet cards may not provide any advantage.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt Hagadorn
msh@chesapeake.com