Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:05:22 -0500
From:      "John Straiton" <jks@clickcom.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Buildworld fails ,worked before..

I seem to be having a little trouble with my system. It's a 4.1-STABLE
machine with a custom kernel and runs fine as one of my desktop machines. I
noticed, however, that I was unable to do a 'make buildworld' a couple of
weeks ago. This has happened to me before when I would get a "bad" src (or
something) tree so I did a rm -r /usr/src and allowed my daily scheduled
cvsup to run that night. Now it's a couple weeks later and I'm still unable
to buildworld even after 3 attemps to rm /usr/src and then get a new copy
from different cvs servers.

I'm now supping against cvsup6.freebsd.org and using default release=cvs
tag=RELENG_4 with src-all, ports-all tag=. and doc-all specified.

Here's what I'm doing which has worked in the past but errors out now..
#cd /usr/src
#make buildworld
...yadda yadda scroll succesfully going through several trees till we get
to:
===> gnu/lib/libdialog
".depend", line 4: Need an operator
".depend", line 5: Need an operator
".depend", line 6: Need an operator
".depend", line 9: Need an operator
".depend", line 10: Need an operator
No closing parenthesis in archive specification
".depend", line 12: Error in archive specification: "Pp5L"
".depend", line 13: Need an operator
".depend", line 14: Need an operator
".depend", line 15: Need an operator
Unterminated {} clause "ҳt`LGLM-zW1qe.*LIܯ[hKl罶"

which is finished with a Stop in /usr/src/gnu/lib.

So seeing dozens of .depend words in there, I tried a:
#make depend
...yadda..yadda...followed by..
/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/gen/basename.c:36: libgen.h: No such file or
directory
/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/gen/dirname.c:36: libgen.h: No such file or
directory
mkdep: compile failed
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib/libc.