Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:00:42 +0100
From:      "Paul Lomax" <paul@max.uk.com>
To:        "VR6 Power" <blownvr6@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.4 Stable and SMP problems?

> Custom machines, Supermicro motherboard, dual PIII 1ghz..
> I am getting the same identical errors as you.
> How long have you been running 4.4 with smp enabled?
> Any negative effects from this error? I've talked to a few others
> who are running into this problem as well and they are in the dark as much
as I am.

We've been running for a couple of months now - on 4.3-RELEASE at the moment
due to getting ports opened on firewalls being likened to getting blood out
of a stone..

I havent noticed any performance issues really - top shows all 4 CPUs being
used okay.

We have however experienced random freezes - the box returns pings but no
services (ssh/http/etc) connect but dont respond.

I dont think its related to the CPU issue however, i'm putting it down to a
problem (software or hardware, not sure yet) with the SCSI or RAID cards.
(HP NetRaid 3i raid, Symbios SCSI).  I've turned up logging levels to see if
I can catch anything.  Course, if the disks are just stopping then it wont
be able to log...

Paul