Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 1996 17:31:29 +0300 (MSK)
From:      bvt@mp.aha.ru (Boris Tyshkiewitch)
To:        pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au (Peter Childs)
Cc:        dror@dnai.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to solve the news server problem

> : I believe that my news server is spending most of its time receiving,
> : writing to disk, organizing, and then removing files that NONE OF
> : MY USERS WILL EVER LOOK AT.
>
>  Yup :)
>
> : We could quite easily figure out which newsgroups our users subscribe
> : to, accept only articles for these newsgroups and reduce the traffic,
> : the disk space, the memory etc to ... 5%? 10%? 30%? The problem is
> : that we want to have newsgroups available when our users want to
> : subscribe to something new.
>
>  This works ok in some cases, but not really when your other sites
>  expect you to provide them with a full feed.

 Yes, but many sites work as leaf nodes, doing all the work for the
newsreaders and
uucp links. (Hmm, is uucp still alive in the US?)

  As to this  problem, I have done a  small patch for nnrpd,
which creates tail of read newsgroups ( touch file in special dir).

  So I have a list of newsgroups  that are actually being read.  I can
expire them this way by "find . +mtime 4 -exec rm {};".

  Next, what  can I do with this list? The first idea is to create a list
for some nntp sucker (I use slurp). It's good, it works, but sucking a
list of ~1000 groups is not a right  thing.  (transfer a 1000 group list
to server, get big the list of new msgids, get the articles).  It works
on my server for a 2 month, and I disable it.

The  second idea is more interesting. In my higher  news server  GUP  is
running - a program that regulates newsfeeds' contens via  email.  And the
only thing  I have to  do - it sends messages  like "subscribe to
this.group",  "unsubscribe from that.group".

  This apporoch works fine. All the clients are satisfied. I have only
700-1400 _really_active_ groups (full active file is 10000 groups)

  It is really easy to implement - 10 line patch to nnrpd, small shell
script that generate subscribe/unsubscribe messages, and GUP installed
on the higher  server.

Boris.