Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:41:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, doc-jp@jp.freebsd.org, cvs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FDP Directory Reorganisation

Ok, we now have a conclusion.  The Japanese documentation team
unanimously requests Japanese docs to remain under the "ja" directory.
Here are the reasonings:

(1) To consistently change the installation directory from "ja" to
    something else requires a lot of work.  For instance, there are a
    few dozen ports that now install manpages in "${PREFIX}/man/ja".
    (Note that it is not only a matter of changing the ports now --
    there are manpages and documents already installed in the ja
    subdirectories on users' systems.)  It is not clear whether the
    change is worth the effort.  Also, there is a concern whether this
    move will be the last one of this kind (see below).

(2) "ja_JP.EUC" is particularly not suitable as a locale, because:

    1. "EUC" is merely an encoding scheme, and does not designate a
       particular codeset.  Of course, if you restrict yourself inside
       Japan, it is very unlikely that ja_JP.EUC means anything other
       than EUC-JP.  However, that doesn't apply to other countries,
       and furthermore it is not correct to interpret the "EUC" part
       based on what ("ja_JP") comes in front.

       While the ja name doesn't designate the codeset either, at
       least it doesn't pretend it does -- but ja_JP.EUC gives the
       user the false impression that it is a correct full spec.

    2. In other UNIX-like systems, ja_JP.eucJP seems to be the
       majority choice.  X11R6 and later also use ja_JP.eucJP as the
       canonical name.  ja_JP.eucJP does designate the codeset so
       therefore is much better than ja_JP.EUC.  Moving docs to
       ja_JP.eucJP might be acceptable, but to change them to
       ja_JP.EUC is totally bogus.  (BTW, some Linux systems use
       ja_JP.ujis or ja_JP.EUC-JP -- the latter might be a better
       choice for us than ja_JP.eucJP.)

(3) Considering (2) above, it is very likely we will have to change
    the official Japanese locale name for EUC-JP to ja_JP.eucJP (or
    ja_JP.EUC-JP) soon on FreeBSD.  Even if we are going to copy the
    Japanese docs, we should make sure to synchronize it with that
    effort.

    1. There are people in Japan working on changing the locale name
       as well as improving the implementation.  It is going to take
       about another half year for that to finish, so it might be a
       good idea to specify a cut-off date and suspend this discussion
       until then.

    2. We agree that directory names should match those of locale
       names since language of manpages should be selected with
       LC_MESSAGE.  However, this is not an issue of utmost emergency,
       and we shouldn't try to adjust it to match the current
       name which is unsuitable as a locale (ja_JP.EUC).

(4) There is at least one other major system (Solaris) that uses ja as
    an official synonym for ja_JP.eucJP.  If having documentation
    directory names match an official locale name is important, that
    is another solution.  (There are several symlinks in
    /usr/share/locale to provide aliases so this is not a new concept.)
    Some people believe in having a default category and encoding for
    a language and using the full spec only when there is an
    exception.

(5) Therefore, we would like to leave doc/ja as doc/ja for now.  Even
    if we move them, it should be to ja_JP.eucJP, not ja_JP.EUC, and
    we should make sure it is synchronized with the locale name
    change.

The convenience of people using them should be considered first when
thinking about directory names for locales.  By the way, we do not
have any opinions on what to do with directories for other locales.

Thanks,
Satoshi (and the Japanese doc team)