Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 05:45:13 +1100 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2842 driver

Justin T. Gibbs writes:

> >I have a couple of problems with this $#@& machine running a 2842.

> >On start-up, it complains bitterly about too many IRQ 7s ..

> That has nothing to do with the 2842.  It means that you have some
> card configured to the wrong IRQ or a card that is generating interrupts
> but doesn't have a driver assigned to it.

I only happened to notice it with -stable, prior to that the machine had
been running 2.1-release without tagged-queueing. It's been running the same
hardware since I received the 2.0.5 CD.

However, I dismantled it this evening and the "stray irq 7" and spontaneous
reboot problems went away as soon as I replaced the EtherLink III with a
cruddy 8-bit WD8003-EBT. Given that the 3Com card was working fine until
just recently (within the last week or so), I suspect that some software
change has invited the instability :-(

	michael