Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:31:24 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Gunnar H Reichert-Weygold <gunnar@paganlibrary.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports: any difference between 3.x/4.0?

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> Thanks for the answer.  Glad that the problems I saw weren't the only
> ones which exist and I can look forward to more :-)

It keeps life interesting :). I liked the signature line I read a
while back that went something like "If you thoroughly understand what
you are doing, you aren't learning anything." Computers are
complicated enough that anyone can become a world expert on their
little section of interest. You also have to remember that no matter
how good you are, you may have the opportunity to wear the "pointy
hat". You only have to follow the "cvs-all" list to watch the experts
get their chance. The important part is that they are willing to take
the chance. I think of the T-shirt of a dog sled team mushing through
the snow in Alaska with the caption that "The scenery only changes for
the lead dog."

> Yes, ports are a lifesaver.  I don't think anything else I've seen
> comes close, certainly not RPM's.

I think that Microsoft has something like an Evangelist. This is a
person that is a walking PR for a product. I figure I have become one
for FreeBSD. FreeBSD isn't perfect and never will be. Neither are any
of the Linux's are any of the other OS'es perfect. Some of the
products that we all use such as KDE have their own cvsup tree. The
ability to keep my system current (really stable) was the feature that
converted me from following Microsoft's NT (2000 now) line to using
FreeBSD. Microsoft would have to produce an hourly service pack to
compete.

> > The changes that they made to the Makefiles in the ports left a number
> > broken for a short time. Your port setup could be out of step with the
> > ports themselves. The "cvs commits" to fix the new Makefile structure
> > have pretty much died off recently.
>
> My ports tree is updated quite regularly, so I don't think that's the
> problem. I was just wondering whether there were two ports trees, one
> for 3.4 and one for 4.0, like there are several source trees.  It
> seems that is not the case.  In that case I'm surprised by how well
> things actually work:  in linux, for instance, lots of things tend to
> get broken after a major upgrade.

The cvsup line for ports is simply "*default release=cvs tag=.", which
says that you are following the current or head of the tree. Current
right now is the 5.0 tree. There are some drop off points but
following that is sort of like cvsuping a release point. It doesn't
change once they RTM the gold CDROM's.

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA