Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 11:27:19 -0600
From:      mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu
To:        "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem hacking

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998 14:52:27 -0600 "Alton, Matthew" wrote
>I have decided to code up an IBM-style journaling filesystem
>(jfs) with maximum portability for free unices.  While I'm at it
>I had might as well have the clean-bits map to a PP/extent
>disk arrangement which will act as a useful abstraction for a
>Logical Volume Manager / Veritas -esque disk management
>system which I also find interesting enough to code up.

What do you know about LFS for FreeBSD.  I haven't used
it, but from what I understand, it was an early implementation
of a "log-structured filesystem" for BSD.  Are "log-structured"
and "journaling" synonymous?

I know that SGI's XFS is a hybrid, where each filesystem has a log
which stores committed operations on the filesystem.  The filesystem
is a fairly normal filesystem from what I understand.  The advantage
to the separate log is flexibility -- some installations store
the log on a separate, high speed disk, but most just use an
"internal log" on the same partition as the filesystem.

As far as Logical Volume Management, SGI's XLV is a good target
(can you tell what kind of UNIXen I use at work yet? :-).  In my
understanding, the system marks each disk with its place in the
volume, so the logical volume can be automagically composed on
boot-up.  This is nice, because there is no configuration file to
worry about, and you can move around the disks on the
SCSI chain without affecting the volume.

>This is not an attempt to morph FreeBSD into AIX by any
>means.

I have zero real experience with AIX, but know enough to thank
you kindly for this :-)

Sorry 'bout going on about SGI.  I'm really not a salesman, just
a not-very-annoyed user tossing out ideas.... :-)  I like the idea
of implementing multiple filesystems on FreeBSD.  I have a currently
unused disk, if you'd like a beta tester (hint, hint...  :-)

--
Chris Mikkelson         	mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu
U of M Tuba and Student    "Life is too short for windows..."