Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 18:46:45 -0500
From:      Mathew Kanner <mat@cs.mcgill.ca>
To:        Jack Hsieh <jhsieh64@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE Problem

Hi Jack,
	I'm sure you've received lots of private responses, I'll
throw my hat in as well.

On Mar 15, Jack Hsieh wrote:
> I followed the instruction from the handbook configuring the kernel with
> the appropriated options.

	Just to reiterate, did you include NETGRAPH in your kernel?

>     default:
>       set device PPPoE:de0
>       set MRU 1492
>       set MTU 1492
>       set authname mylogin
>       set authkey mypasswd
>       set log Phase tun command
>       set dial
>       set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0
>       add default HISADDR
>       nat enable
>       set cd 5
>       set crtscts off
>     papchap:
>       set authname mylogin
>       set authkey mypasswd

	I assume that you've changed the authname, authkey values from
to mylogin/mypasswd to protect your privacy.  For the record, these
should have your ISP assigned login name and password.  Certain ISPs
require extra information in the authname.  For example, Sympatico
wants the authname as 'user@sympatico.ca'.
	As far as the device goes, future request should probably
include the output of 'ifconfig -a' which would tell us if you
selected the device name.

> However I'm not able to pick the connection.
> from the /var/log/ppp.log, I have:
>
> tun0: Phase: PPP Started (dedicated mode).
> tun0: Phase: bundle: Established
> tun0: Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
> tun0: Phase: deflink: Connected!
> tun0: Phase: deflink: opening -> carrier
> tun0: Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
> tun0: Phase: deflink: carrier -> lcp
> tun0: Phase: deflink: write (1): Network is unreachable

	For the moment, you should increase your level of verbosity.
I don't remeber which I used so maybe you should set lots of them.
(The command is 'set log ...').  Watch out for private information if
you include the log in future e-mails.

	When I set mine up, I found that before I ran PPP, I had to
first send a few packets out of the interface.  I'm not sure why I had
to, maybe the ethernet card or DSL modem need some time to wake up.
The lights on my DSL modem have been a real asset, this is how I
found out that I needed to send some packets first.
	I also found that using the ppp command interactivtly helps.
It changes the prompt for each part of the set-up giving you
some idea what's going on.

	Good Luck,
	--Mat