Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:50:54 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        ?? <pcdvd.master@msa.hinet.net>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP Error in VIA 694 based bord

Peter Wemm wrote:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > thanks to Terry, I added option DISABLE_PSE,then the smp works fine,I
> > > already boot over 30hrs,and running stable, thank
> > > you for your help.
> > > May I ask you? what is PSE,it seens like a cpu function?
> >
> > Thanks for posting to the list.  People generally don't
> > believe the FreeBSD has a PSE problem, without a confirming
> > success report in the DISABLE_PSE case, like yours.  Actually,
> > Satoshi Asami and the people still at ClickArray should be
> > able to conrim the problem as well as the workaround.
>
> Is this the one you posted about regarding interactions with PG_G and
> overlapping PG_PS (page size) pages and the timing of setting the
> CR4_PSE flag?

Not in that detail on-list, but yes.

> Terry, if you're not going to give details about what the problem is, then
> please stop ranting on and on about this.  The whole "There is a bug, and
> I'm not going to tell you what it is" thing is getting rather tiring.

The previous code accidently included the workaround.  The new
code doesn't.

FreeBSD didn't used to suffer from it until some code changed;
the easiest fix is:

	Put The Code Back The Way It Was Before The PSE
	Problem Started To Be An Issue.

As I said before, I'd be willing to discuss it off list with
you, and you can make the FreeBSD changes, as long as it is
understood that you won't disclose the content of the discussion,
and any fixes are done without an explanation as to why they are
necessary (other than "fix PSE bug"), since I consider that to
be Trade Secret, and therefore propietary.

-- Terry