Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:39:42 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD books (was: Amusing: LinuxCountry site runs on FreeBSD :))

On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 10:27:34AM -0700, Greg Shenaut wrote:

> I use the O'Reilly "UNIX in a nutshell: a desktop quick reference
> for Berkeley" all the time with FreeBSD, and it is usually fairly
> adequate; it's not clear to me that writing a new, fbsd-specific
> version would be all that helpful.
>
> What would really be of value, I think, is something on the order
> of "A Free UNIX Reference", and it should emphasize the similarities
> while dealing with the differences of current Linux and *BSD systems.
> Given the present trend toward Linux, this might be the best way
> to put the attributes of *BSD before the maximum number of interested
> readers.  It could also be really useful if you are reasonably
> fluent in one flavor of free unix, but have a problem that would
> be solved most efficiently by using another.  And IMHO it would be
> at least as useful as any standard reference to a single one of
> the target systems.

	I'll second this!

	There are enough tutorial docs on Free|Net|OpenBSD that
	writing the material is less of an issue  than editing
	it all together.

	I'm sure that my AnswerMan co-writers (DaemonNews) would
	volunteer what we've put out and would bet that other
	authors would do the same.

	A target date of Fall, 2000 is close enough (and yet gives
	at least some time to breathe) to make sense.

	The real question is who wants to volunteer for the Sr. Editorial
	team??

	gary