Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:19:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      tqbf@char-star.rdist.org
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More on reserved ports...

Fri, 28 Mar 1997 08:35:19 -0700 (MST) brandon@cold.org:
>in inetd.conf, but why do it there?  I would suggest doing it to another
>file, such as /etc/services, or something similar, and just having it be a
>generic port configuration file overall.  This file would define who can

How do you propose to implement this in the kernel? Remember, you can't
enforce this using userland processes.

Would you add some kind of data structure in the kernel to track all these
ports, and system calls to add and remove ports from consideration, and a
check against it in in_pcb.c? It seems like things are getting a bit
complex now.

--
Thomas Ptacek at EnterAct, L.L.C., Chicago, IL [tqbf@enteract.com]