Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2016 17:16:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is it necessary to reinstall OS upon motherboard change?

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, Manish Jain wrote:

> Because of certain problems I am experiencing with my hardware, I am
> planning to move to another motherboard + CPU. Just out of curiosity, I
> wished to enquire - is it possible to use an existing FreeBSD
> installation despite change of MB + CPU ? In the Windows world, that is
> pretty much impossible, but on FreeBSD the possibilities don't appear
> that bad to me. (My hard disk and graphics card will remain unaltered).

Yes.  The two things that might require adjustment are network interface
names (re0 to em0, say) and disk device numbers (ada0 to ada4).  If you
use labels, the disk device numbers don't matter.

So the first boot might be to single user, remount / and other
partitions manually, then edit /etc/fstab and /etc/rc.conf.