Date:      Sat, 18 May 1996 10:37:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        "JoongSub Lee (kornet)" <audience@soback.kornet.nm.kr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial port problem

>  I have a Compaq Contura 410C and I installed FreeBSD 2.1.0.
> My IRQ is 4 and there is no problem about my serial port.
> But my kernel didn't recognize my serail port. When I used Linux
> there was no problem at all. And I experienced same difficulty
> when I used FreeBSD 2.0. That time, I got a solution from someone.
> - I remember it was simple. :( But I couldn't remember how to fix it.
> What I remember is to put some code into kernel configuration file.

Maybe you need to fiddle with the IRQ's for your serial ports.  Take a
look in your kernel config file, e.g. /sys/i386/conf/MYMACHINE:

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device          sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
device          sio3    at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

You may have to twiddle the IRQ's above and recompile your kernel.
Without more information it's hard to say what the problem is.

Regards,

Brian