Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:58:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.conf, take 46!

On 22-Mar-99 Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> There is a problem with this approach.
>
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf defines ${rc_conf_files}
> However, I have no chance to override it before it is used.
>
> When I wrote my comment about "code" in rc.conf, I was
> actually thinking about /etc/defaults/rc.conf and the
> recursion loop that that creates when someone copies it to
> /etc/rc.conf.
>
> You can, and IMHO should, make the defaults strictly variables.
>
> However, I fear that you need a bit more logic to allow the
> overriding of ${rc_conf_files}.

Where are going to override it?  If we use some other config file that gets
sucked in to /etc/defaults/rc.conf we'd have a config file included in
another config file that tells it what other config files to include.  If this
keeps up we'll end up with a bunch of config files floating around that config
other config files, which will end up messy and confusing for newbies, IMHO.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc