Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 11:44:18 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@munich.netsurf.de>
To:        Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding a new disk

Leo Papandreou writes:

>Hello all,
>
>I am trying to add a new disk to 2.1.7 system.
>
>I am using both the narrow and wide interfaces on a single 2940.
>The existing disks are probed as 0, 2, 3 and 4 and are being mapped
>to sd0, sd1, sd2, sd3.
>
>The new disk I am adding, a seagate ST32430N, is set to ID 1
>(1, 2 and 4 are available according to the documentation. Beats
>me, may have something to do with the fact that it was designed,
>manufactured to apple specs, and in fact pulled out of a mac).
>
>Ok so far except that once probed, FreeBSD assigns it sd1.

[proposed solution with fstab deleted]

forget playing games with fstab. Just wire down your SCSI devices. Take
a look at /sys/i386/conf/LINT. There's a description of how to wire down
SCSI devices under the "SCSI DEVICE CONFIGURATION" header.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
Work - gjennejohn@frt.dec.com