Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:08:11 +0800
From:      =?UTF-8?B?5pyx5rGf?= <mail.jiang.cn@gmail.com>
To:        Walt Ford <walt.ford@yahoo.com>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Overhaul the config system with Lua

For now, I plan to implement following functionality:

1. basic functionality as old config
2. support dependencies
3. improve support for ARM platform
4. support conditionals (e.g. if something then .... else ....)
5. keep object files so that next time we can reuse the unchanged object
files.

> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 01:27:37PM +0800, =E6=9C=B1=E6=B1=9F wrote:
> >
> > Your experience is very helpful to me. Can you provide more detail abou=
> > your work? And I can learn something from your work.
>
> Sure, but my work was mainly to give a unified appearance to those base
> utilties that either provide statistics, control subsystems, or configure
> devices.  Unfortunately, config(8) doesn't really implement any of that.
> The user interface code could be reuseable, but config only has a
> command-line interface right now.
>
> If you work on this, even though FreeBSD doesn't have Lua in the base
> system, then in addition to moving the knowledge of options into config(8=
),
> the logic used to determine proper option defaults based on architecture
> and other options selected should go too.  It's currently in a Makefile.
> Ideally, that would be part of config as well so the same utility could
> be used to configure a kernel to build using make(1) or to configure a
> custom binary kernel to install using pkg(8).  It's currently not
> possible to do that, but we're getting closer.  Options and the logic
> controlling them should be accessible without a source tree installed.
>
> Let me know what you're planning to implement and I'll see what can be
> reused.
>
> --
> Walt

--=20